Pure Cloud Block Store (CBS) deployment takes 1 hour, 30 mins until it eventually fails.
To check at which step the deployment of the managed application fails, follow the below:
- In the Azure Portal -> CBS managed application -> managed resource group (mrg).
- From the left panel, select Deployment from Settings section.
The failure occurs when Azure is deploying the Virtual Machine controller "ct0" step called ct0-extension. If this step takes longer than 10 minutes, there's a good chance it will eventually fail.
Clicking on the Error details line, you will see:
Provisioning of VM extension am-test-cbs-652-ct0-ext has timed out. Extension provisioning has taken too long to complete. The extension last reported "Plugin enabled". More information on troubleshooting is available at https://aka.ms/VMExtensionCSELinuxTroubleshoot (Code: VMExtensionProvisioningTimeout)
During the initialization of a new CBS instance, CBS Azure deployment uses the VM extension to validate the CBS license with Pure1. When the deployment takes too long, then eventually fail on the ct0- extension deployment step, one possibly is that there is NO network connection outbound to the internet or Pure1 has been incorrectly configured as part of the CBS deployment prerequisites.
- Ensure there is outbound internet access and Pure1 is accessible on the CBS System Subnet. This can be achieved by using one of the below options. Detailed information is provided in the CBS Deployment Guide for Azure -> Internet Access section.
- NAT Gateway
- A firewall (Azure firewall or 3rd party appliance)
- CBS subnet routed through on-premises network
Providing Outbound internet access to the system subnet using NAT Gateway.
- Ensure firewall rules and ports are open for the CBS system subnet to reach Pure1 and pertinent Microsoft Azure public urls.
- Ensure service endpoints to Azure Key Vault and Cosmos DB are enabled for the CBS system subnet. See the CBS Deployment Guide for Azure -> Service Endpoint section.